Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) has a long history of use as an insect repellent that dates back to the Native American tribes of our areas, who gifted us with the knowledge.
The most active compounds—the ones that make beautyberry such an effective natural bug repellent—are volatile, terpenoid compounds (callicarpenal and intermedeol) that tend to evaporate as the leaves dry out. So fresh leaves are most effective.
- 1 cup of crushed Beautyberry leaves
- 4 ounces of rubbing alcohol
- 2 drops of desired body wash or spray (personal choice)
- Personal size spray bottle
- Put crushed leaves into a mason jar
- Cover the crushed leaves with the rubbing alcohol and let stand for 2 days
- Strain the mixture free of the leaves
- Add two drops of your body wash or spray
- Pour into a mini personal sprayer
*Reapply every couple of hours for best results.